Guadix has a wealth of architecture that has been revealed from many centuries ago. The most obvious element and is striking first visitors of our city is, without doubt, the baroque cathedral and the Barrio de las Cuevas, but there are many more, both civil architectural elements and religious, who give Guadix great value as unique architectural sample.
La Catedral y Parroquia del Sagrario
Cathedral of Guadix gets his bull erection of 149 and as previously did the Arabs was built on the old mosque although its construction was quite delayed in time, both reaching range from the sixteenth to eighteenth centuries, resulting there is a curious conjunction (at least) style, quite harmonious blend of Gothic elements inside: Renaissance and baroque finally.
The present temple has three facades. The main one: dedicated to the Annunciation, it is San Torcuato north, the south to Santiago Apostol. The accitana Cathedral is dedicated to the Incarnation of the Virgin and is symbolized by a bouquet of lilies. Comprising: 3 ships with apse and ambulatory without forgetting the magnificent choir stalls. In the main altar you can see an interesting series of large paintings dedicated to the Virgin. Is noteworthy and visit the recently restored and where you can see pieces and art objects as well as several interesting books of the fifteenth to eighteenth centuries cathedral museum. Next to the cathedral, it is attached parish or Sagrario Church, which devotes its front the Eucharistic theme done in Plateresque.
Winter 8-13 h. Morning.
Summer 8 to 11h. Morning. 17 to 19 h. Late.
The Alcazaba de Guadix (from the Arabic “qasaba”, “citadel”) is a construction or fortified whose function was to defend the city of Guadix and its contours, both against external enemies as against internal uprisings also ensuring resistance prolonged.
Built around the eleventh century, as in many other constructions of Muslim origin, the main material used in the tower was the tapial (ancient technique consisting of building walls with clay compacted to death by a “tamper” with a sliding formwork usually wooden, to contain it, giving the citadel a very distinctive reddish appearance.
The main tower is square, and consists of two parts, the upper smaller than the lower dimensions. Both are topped by rectangular battlements.
After the conquest of the Catholic Monarchs in 1489, he began the abandonment of the fort. In the sixteenth century the building was partially destroyed, losing much of the interior rooms of the same. It was later restored. In 1931 it was declared a National Artistic Monument.
Convento e Iglesia de la Concepción
This convent of Franciscan nuns cloistered concepcionistas is located in the street of the Conception and was formerly Arab souk, because for him it was acceded, mainly Arab fortress. It is currently surrounded by old noble houses because it was the place chosen by the Castilians rincipalmente nobles settled in the city following the entry of the Catholic Monarchs. The sixteenth century convent owes its foundation to Ruy Perez de Sotomayor; the evening was a fire (1667), being rebuilt later, the convent church dating from the seventeenth century and is a single nave covered with a barrel vault with lunettes. In its interior the image of Our Lady of Sorrows whose face belonged to the primitive sculpture V. of Sorrows, destroyed in the civil war (1936) work of Torcuato Ruiz del Peral.
During the Muslim period, it would later give the Conception street, Cuesta was the Alacaba or call the Kabah, the main thoroughfare of the city that came to the citadel from the door of the mosque Mayor.
But even before that, in the Roman Hispanic times, this street was the cardo maximus of the colony J. G. Action, which means it was an essential urban organization of the Romans who, by decision of Julius Caesar, were installed at this point and these lands were distributed sector. More specifically, what would plot of this convent and church, Roman baths, whose remains still today perceived settled. These baths, along with those who had where then the convent of Poor Clares, Santiago installed, were the chief of the city public.
Iglesia de San Agustín
Initially, the church of St. Augustine had a singular plant, round, fashion patio, with double superimposed gallery. The it preyed below for the various chapels that occupied the interpilastras holes, while the upstairs gallery came to perform functions circular choir.
The interior of this court was the proper body of the church and its unique nave, resulting in a markedly different structure of the remaining temples of the city.
Many years later, recently, the reform that was made of this church, to fix the damage he experienced in the war of 1936- 1939, it was decided to abandon the old plant, transforming it into a single rectangular nave, narrower than the outer old.
and is a temple with a single nave, raised pilasters enter more or less simulated, and covered with a barrel vault and arches.
The temple has no tower, but it looks a belfry on the facade. Finally, next to the church the old Augustinian monastery, now San Torcuato seminary which is municipally owned and corresponds to the type of double cloister convent highlighting inside the two courts available stands. Currently also it serves, access to the walled enclosure of the Alcazaba.
Iglesia y Convento de Santiago
The church of Santiago is now a national monument and was built on a former mosque dating from the XVI century with a plateresque work of Diego de Siloé. The temple is a basilica with 3 naves, the largest central and highest infuence and gothic-mudejar taking covers Mudejar coffered ceilings. The highlight of this church is both its façade and the whole covered with its Moorish tower with a pyramidal top mudejar based colored glazed brick. Santiago church and convent can say they are a part of a couple, the other element of the San Miguel and its former convent, since both sit on the Roman decumanus (east-west). The convent closing him as almost all of his time is organized around a central courtyard with marble colonnade gallery Joble superimposed. In the upper gallery are rich coffered though hardly has artistic trousseau. The foundation of the convent made Don Gaspar de Avalos, Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela.
Convento de la Divina Infantita
It is currently home to the convent and schools of accitana Congregation of the Divine Infant although previously was the palace of the Narvaez Alfaro but after the Spanish Civil War is pretty rebuilt.
Iglesia de San Miguel. Convento de Santo Domingo
This Church of the convent of Santo Domingo where it is today established the parish of San Miguel (San Miguel I.) is direct foundation of the Catholic Monarchs (17.1.1550, s. XVI). It consists of a single nave, almost rectangular with choir on the door. The highlight of this church are the Mudejar covers the central nave like those of presbiteño and the former chapel of the Virgen del Rosario today shelters the image of V. de la Soledad. Is perhaps the work of coffered ceiling more complete and perfect existing in the churches of the city with wide and profuse polychromy.
From the time of the reconquest, as a result of the Bula of erection of Cardinal Mendoza, the church organization is structured in the city, distributing its territory in parishes and ascribing resources for each case. For this Bula of erection, it specifically stated that the Mayor church dedicated to Our Lady of the Incarnation, soon cathedral would be built on the Muslim mosque Mayor, whose assets and rights was considered heir. And also stated that the other parishes that were erected in the city they did on the smaller mosques above.
Consequently, the jurisdictional and territorial distribution of the reconquista to the previous Muslim organization, part of the Great Mosque, ordering around mosques under the suburbs that would be Santa Ana, Santiago and San Miguel fit very well.
Iglesia de la Magdalena
It is a temple that no longer works as such and is currently being rehabilitated by a school workshop sponsored by the diocesan church itself and consists of a single rectangular nave with presbytery in the head. Opposite the gateway three arches that can be probably the remains of the previous mezquitilla appear. This temple can highlight apart from the magnificent recovery on coffered ceiling of the nave and the roof of the chancel, twin of the Church of Santa Ana. Its outer cover is Baroque, in stone with central niche for the image of the Magdalena who is the owner of the former temple.
Just above the church of Santo Domingo, on the side opposite in the call Real Street Magdalena, then the Real street of Santo Domingo, the church of the Madeleine is installed.
It is formed this church by a single rectangular nave with presbytery in the head, which is passed by a large semicircular arch, in what was to be separating pad, similar to as l construction of this arc is resolved win in the other churches of Santa Ana, Santiago, San Francisco or Santo Domingo.
The temple is currently extremely destroyed and impoverished. In it, only worth mentioning cover the nave and chancel cover Mudejar coffer, twin of the remaining city.
This church of Mary Magdalene was the first to be restore command, being from beyond, along with Santa Cruz and Santa Catalina.
Iglesia y convento de San Diego
At the end of the street known as the Gloria and a wide square that may well be the center of the neighborhood it stands what was once the convent of San Diego (Discalced Franciscans) and his church. This temple is made (in practice) by a single nave covered with a barrel vault at the bottom of the presbytery, there is a modern altarpiece and located in the chapel of the patron saint of the city. This church curiously like that of Santo Domingo, San Miguel Nuevo today, has no tower and its facade in this case is topped with a belfry which houses a single bell. Then to the right of the facade of the Church of the old convent with 2 floors and double row of windows agemeladas Gothic with a patch that has been recently remodeled rises.
To the south of the city, at the bottom of the street of the Gloria, we find the church and convent of San Diego, in the center of the large square of his name, forming the hub and center of this neighborhood, to end what it was the Horse race after race and only in the baroque goal of the via crucis that from San Miguel, is finished off here. This church and convent of San Diego was parents Franciscan Discalced reform of St. Peter of Alcantara, known vulgarly with the name of the convent of San Diego, worship, above, in the sixteenth century, it was celebrated in the other convent San Francisco. This convent was established, with its annexed church in the border area between houses and caves in the southeast sector of the city, around the angle between the paths, around here, they go to Almeria or Sened, in a industry, then, practically uninhabited, near the hermitages of San Marcos and San Pedro.
Iglesia de Santa Ana
Like many others in the city, it rises on the previous Muslim mosque, serving almost heart of this old neighborhood though today it has grown so much that already displaced as such. Its construction began in the first half of the sixteenth century leading to a temple of basilical plant of medium proportions with access door in the nave. The head of the Church is separated from the rest of the nave and in the center of the circular is home to the titular Santa Ana, the disappearance of the altarpiece of 1554. The most interesting part of this church on the deck of a road the central and the presbytery ship coffered ceiling ochavado though less quality than their peers of Santiago, San Francisco or Santo Domingo. The tower with a side of the street is square with bell And probably were finished off, like that of Santiago, in the sixteenth century spire. However, in outward appearance the most artistic part is the lateral cover closed today, in the street of the tower and can be access from the previous mosque.
Iglesia y Convento de San Francisco
The church consists of a rectangular nave with presbytery in the head of the ship and something higher. Access is at the foot of the nave. The facade is simple and unadorned. This church has a tower and the highlight of it is the cover of its nave and the presbietrio as being a fine example of Moorish woodwork in the area. Data from the first half of the XVI being the church that being treasured national monument better and more of artistic works inside.
Iglesia de San Torcuato
It is situated on the slope down from the citadel and descends to the Great Mosque and Cathedral and Plaza Mayor. Such side received in the Muslim era, the name Sened, and from the plaza entrance was through a door in what is now the entrance to the street Abentofail, beside the palace of El Zagal. There are also traces of Roman-Arab baths, twins of Santiago and Concepcion.
Therefore, after the war of the Moriscos from 1568- 70, with all that meant for the religious mentality of this region, resuscitate life, miracles and apostolate of San Torcuato and other apostolic men, was a great shock for the city. A shock that was increasing in this case to be able to provide, immediately, the documents certifying the place where lay the remains of the apostle, and the vicissitudes of his transfer, knowledge that allowed consider the problem of the return of the relics to Guadix.
Iglesia de la Ermita Nueva
To study the shrine of Our Lady of Grace we have a valuable work by Rafael Casado Male and Diego Lopez (1999), which we consider fundamental to the historical knowledge of the chapel and accitanas caves.
At the heart of the caves is the chapel of Our Lady of Grace. This small chapel reminds us of the catacombs of the early Christians. The original chapel was built on an old oven- cave in the sixteenth century and depended on first place in the parish of La Magdalena (1559) and, later, of San Miguel.
This chapel was rebuilt in the early nineteenth century by Jose Perez Chico, dean of the cathedral. L The cult of Our Lady of Grace began in the seventeenth century, when Spain governs the kings of the House of Austria.
Iglesia de Fátima
Iglesia de Santo Domingo
The temple of Santo Domingo, Dominican serving extinct in Guadix, next to the convent of these, is dedicated to San Miguel parish since 1958, the problems posed by the latter, as just seen. What was the convent, after the confiscation nineteenth century it became private property such as houses and orchards: “la Huerta Don Francisquito”. The temple, after the expulsion, was marginalized, serving for various uses, including wheat store from 1939 until, in 1958, moved there the parish of San Miguel.
This temple, annexed to the Dominican convent, possibly to settle on a Muslim background and premusulmán since at this point the objective circumstances for this fact are met: installation against one of the ancient gates of the city, immediate royal street source next witness.